I read a few recipes online and then decided to wing it! (What else is new). I have to say it turned out great! Note the italics for what I would do differently next time. Also keep in mind that every slow-cooker is different.
Slow Cooker Jalapeño Mac & Cheese
4 cups uncooked macaroni
3 cups organic vegetable broth (1 cup for firmer noodles)
1 cup organic skim milk
1 large free-range egg
2 tablespoons Kozlik's dijon mustard
1 medium jalapeño pepper (to taste; we like it spicy so next time I would add 2)
1 hunk of onion (same size as jalapeño)
1/2 cup plain cream cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cambozola cheese (or bleu cheese, to taste)
1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
Extra cheddar and jalapeño for garnish
1. Finely chop (or pulse in food processor) onion and jalapeño (seeds removed).
2. Combine macaroni, milk, broth, egg (beaten), mustard and onion and jalapeño in slow cooker.
3. Add all cheeses and stir.
4. Set slow cooker to LOW for 3 hours.*
5. At 1 hour, check pasta for texture & stir. Check again at 2 hours.
6. Add sliced jalapeño and extra grated cheddar on top. Cook for remaining hour.
7. Serve hot!
* All slow cookers are different.
Next time I would use less liquid and cook for two hours only.