Quinoa & Potato Latkes
Since I haven't baked homemade bread yet, I made a huge batch of quinoa and potato latkes to get us through the week! Based on an idea from Pinterest and my own latke recipe.
1 giant Russet Potato
2 large eggs
2/3 cup un-cooked quinoa
Shallots or Onion
Seasoning to taste: Paprika, salt, pepper, chilli pepper
1. Cook 2/3 cup quinoa in water or vegetable broth. Leftover quinoa works too!
2. Peel 1 giant russet potato (or 2 medium ones). Use a cheese grater or food processor with a slicing disc to grate the raw potato.
3. Combine quinoa, raw potato, 2 eggs, shallot/onion (to taste) and seasonings.
4. In a non-stick pan, heat a generous amount of olive oil until hot (a shred of potato should bubble and fry when dropped in).
5. Using a wooden spoon, drop palm-sized amounts of mixture into the pan. Flatten with back of spoon. Fry for about 5 mins a side, or until brown and crispy.
6. We ate some right away. The rest (makes about a dozen) I stored in a tupperware between layers of parchment paper in the fridge for up to a week.
Makes a great base for eggs of all kinds, tomato, avocado, fresh raw peanut butter, or as a side with dinner. Enjoy!
#food #foodethics #shapril #latkes #quinoa #recipe #cleaneating